Lyme Disease -Tthe Contrarian View

Lyme disease - A Contrarian View Symptoms

In older cases of Lyme, the most common symptoms in dogs are arthritis or painful joints and lameness; other symptoms may include fever, lack of appetite, depression or lethargy. Dogs do not exhibit the classic “bulls eye” rash that occurs in humans. Symptoms can occur two to five months after exposure. If your dog shows these symptoms, it’s best to consult an experienced homeopathic vet who can prescribe the correct remedy for his symptoms.

Ticks carry not only Lyme, but babeosis, anaplasmosis and other potentially harmful pathogens.

My view is that by relying on pharmaceutical products we undermine critical natural immunity, and here is my guide to effective protection.

1. The best method is to keep ticks off your dog – there are a number of effective repellents available, or if you do your research online you can make your own

2. ALWAYS check your dog for ticks after he’s been out playing in wooded or grassy areas. If you remove the ticks within 24-36 hours they’re less likely to transmit disease.

3. Take active steps to support your dogs immune system.

How Do We Really Prevent Lyme Disease?

It’s suddenly tick season! If you and your dog enjoy a romp in long grassy or wooded areas, your dog (and you) can pick up these disease-transmitting parasites. They may even be lurking in your garden. Research indicates that as with much of nature, it is the weaker that are most susceptible to the disease. Immune system considerations The more toxic your dog is, the more likely he is to suffer an exaggerated response to an otherwise benign stress.

Research shows it … 95% of dogs (and people) who are bitten by a tick, are likely to have either no symptoms or mild flu-like symptoms. For the 5% of dogs who get really sick, how can we blame the tick when the other 95% do just fine? In a study conducted at the University of Pennsylvania, beagles were experimentally infected with Lyme disease. Yet none of the adult dogs showed any symptoms of the disease.

Beagle puppies, who would have weaker immune systems than adult dogs, showed about four days of transient symptoms of infection such as fever and lameness in the same study. After four days of on-and-off symptoms, the pups became asymptomatic; which means their bodies cleared the infection without any treatment.

According to Meryl P Littman (University of Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine), exposure to Lyme disease is common, but the disease isn’t: “Ninety-five percent of exposed dogs don’t get sick, but they become Lyme antibody-positive on tests, which may scare people into thinking they need to be treated,” she says. “In some areas in New England, 70 to 90 percent of healthy dogs are Lyme-positive. At PennVet, we found about 40 percent of healthy dogs are Lyme-positive in our area.”

So it seems that Lyme disease isn’t all that common and dogs aren’t that likely to get it, even when infected. So why are we so worried about Lyme disease? Bacteria and parasites only prey on weak animals … and that a healthy immune system is what separates the 5% of dogs with Lyme disease from the healthier 95% of the population.

Here are some tips to help bolster your dog’s immune system:

• Feed a fresh, whole food species appropriate diet

• Avoid any and all unnecessary vaccines (here’s a hint … most of them are unnecessary)

• Avoid toxic heartworm, flea and tick medications whenever possible

• Work with a holistic or homeopathic vet who will work with you on replacing the above, plus drugs and antibiotics, with holistic, natural options that won’t harm the immune system. I

t’s time to stop fearing Lyme disease and seeing it for what it is … a signal that there was already something seriously wrong with your dog. So why not worry about your dog’s immune health instead? If you focus on immune health, research shows you’ll probably never face the challenge of Lyme disease in your dog.

You will note I am silent on the use of pharmaceutical products to kill ticks and other insects. The reason is that use of such products compromises the body’s natural immunity system and the research summarised above indicates the importance of this.