Beware of these common treats which may harm your dog

Beware of these common treats which may harm your dog

I’m sure most responsible dog owners are very aware of hidden dangers lurking in the home, by which I mean things in our households which could be harmful to our pets if ingested.

In particular I want everyone to be aware that things we might be tempted to offer as treats...I want to help us to stop inadvertently damaging our dogs with kindness.  

If in doubt I strongly recommend that you save the following website www.petpoisonhelpline.com

Number one on my list is overfeeding. Dogs need different amounts and types of food depending on their age and activity levels. Dogs do not know how to control their eating. If it’s there they will eat it. If it’s not taken away they may learn to leave it and then come back later and eat it. As a rule of thumb you should feed and remove.Or just use a cold press food like HealthyDog where recommended amounts are half those of a traditional extruded food

It follows from One above that most treats in so much as they increase amounts eaten should be discouraged.  I however enjoy giving my dogs treats so moderation and only occasional treats are the rule.

So treats to avoid include the following (and yes, I encourage feedback and additions to this list, you will help all our readers)

Most lists start contain Macadamia Nuts. I start with these as I did not know what they are. They are in many biscuits and snacks. So either read the label or just don’t give pastry things to the dog.

Chocolate should NEVER be given. I still remember the sage when my Jack Russell discovered an Easter Egg. I am eternally grateful to the vet for coming out late on a Sunday evening to save her life.  So please make sure all chocolate is in a secure place and children/non dog owning guests understand that they must not give this to their pet. Remember dark chocolate and cooking chocolate are the most lethal.

Grapes/raisins are a threat to kidney function and should be avoided.

Onions, leeks, chives and garlic Members of  the Allium family and poisonous to dogs. Garlic is considered to be about 5-times as potent as onion and leeks. Certain breeds and species are more sensitive, including cats and Japanese breeds of dogs (e.g., Akita, Shiba Inu). Toxic doses of garlic can cause damage to the red blood cells (making them more likely to rupture) leading to anemia.. While tiny amounts of these foods in some pets, especially dogs, may be safe, large amounts can be very toxic.

Chicken bones can splinter and do all sorts of harm. Cooked bones of any kind may be brittle and hazardous.

Rawhide dog chews  can host bacteria like Salmonella, which isn’t good. Monitor the storage, handout, use, and life of chews.

Plants. The Kennel Club publishes a list of dangerous plants.  Some you might be surprised to see are

  • Aloe vera
  • Daffodil  and tulip bulbs
  • Hyacinth
  • Laburnum
  • Lupins
  • Rhubarb leaves
  • Rhododendron
  • Sweet pea
  • Day lilies
  • Asparagus fern
  • Azalea
  • Cyclamen
  • Hydrangea
  • Aconitum
  • Delphiniums
  • Wisteria
  • Yew

As ever, if you have found this useful, please share. Also please like our page so that we can make sure you receive other blogs we produce. With thanks form the team at www.doghealth.co.uk. And please add your comment especially where this will help other dog owners and reflects your own experiences.

Back to blog